Tuesday, June 11, 2013

End of the School Year Meeting

Tonight Maddie and I pulled out some key things she did this year to show off. A certified teacher comes and signs off on Maddie's end of year report to the school district. Homeschooling in New York is just a joy when it comes to regulations! At any rate, its pretty painless and Maddie has fun showing her accomplishments. Here are a few of the things she pulled out.

Math workbook, her Turkey dressed as a pigeon for Thanksgiving, nature journal, Iroquois lapbook, Civil War history pocket and her Science workbook. Lots and lots of work but the thing that amazes me is her history binder. We started this way back in first grade when we studied the Ancients and have added to it every year. I thought, when we started, there was NO WAY we would fill it. Guess what??

There it is all filled up! Toward the end of the modern era we didn't even do any narration or maps because it was all hitting just too close to home. 

Then I opened it at random and came upon this page with narration on one side and Maddie's illustration on the other, "USA girlie and British girlie" which just made me smile so I snapped another picture.  Now I'm off to make dinner so we are ready for our meeting!!
 
 
I almost forgot one of my favorite parts of cleaning out the schoolwork. Notes like this one:
 
I put sticky notes on Maddie's books to tell her the assignment. Often she writes back and often its a sweet something like I love you. Sometimes its not so sweet....I don't like this. This is NOT FUN Momma! I don't keep those but maybe I should! Certainly if she was in school and announced to her teacher she didn't like something there would be trouble! 


3 comments:

  1. Congrats on not only finishing the school year but on the awesome history notebook! Well done, Maddie!!

    The homeschooling law here in Washington doesn't even require a visit, only annual testing (which isn't even required to be reported). Sometimes I think it would be nice to have a deadline to pull together a portfolio, but then, I better be careful what I wish for since our state is pretty hands-off us homeschoolers. :)

    Blessings,

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! How lucky you are in Washington! NYS has red tape a mile long for almost everything. We have the teacher sign off as a precautionary measure mostly. The school district could require it, its up to them who can say how Maddie is doing. We just felt it was better in the long run to have someone with credentials on our side and he is a family friend so it makes things easy. Pretty soon we will have to test and report the results of that too. We are going to be doing some practice tests in the coming year. We also have to do a letter of intent, IHIP (Individualized Home Instruction Plan) and quarterly reports as well as the end of year report. I also have to send copies of it all to the Office of Children and Family Services as part of my day care regs.

      Delete
    2. Wow! That's a lot. We are required to file a letter of intent, too. Every year there's a push in the state house to tighten the grip on homeschoolers here in WA, but every year so far, we've been victorious in defeating those efforts, PTL!

      Have a great week! ~Lisa

      Delete