Monday, September 14, 2009
First Grade has begun!
We have offically started first grade! We started in mid-August but were only doing reading and math, now we have had at least one lesson in every subject. We are really enjoying it. Maddie is doing very well with everything. We switched math programs and I really do like the one we are now using. There is a lot of hands on activities. Tonight we were seperating her dolls and stuffed animals into groups based on a rule...all the ones with clothes and the ones without clothes for instance. At the moment these lessons seem quite easy however that should change with time. We have started reading The Story of the World vol 1 which began with explainations of history and archeology. We did quite a bit of reading about archeology. This led to many explorations in the backyard and finding things like the very ancient hole that held the clothesline pole. Now we have moved on to Nomads and the fertile crescent. We are studying animals in science and will be doing the octopus tomorrow. One of Maddie's favorite animals. Poppa Bill and Mamaw Mary gave Maddie a microscope which has totally thrilled her. Unfortunately now we need a book to help the adults remember what we are looking at! I made the mistake of saying we could "play" with the microscope. Maddie told me no uncertain terms "This is not a toy Momma! This is a scientific tool!". I had to explain that I didn't really mean play with it but more like trying to work with it a bit more so we could figure out how it works. She wasn't really convinced so now I have to watch what I say! Reading continues to go well and we found some really good beginning readers that Maddie enjoys. They are called Phonics Comics. She has 3 and we have read them all. Dance class starts this week as well as art and music appreciation here at home. We are busy, busy but enjoying every moment. At this point I can't imagine giving up watching the delight on her face when she learns something new.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment